FORTUNY AND THE MAGIC LANTERN
2010. Documentary. 58 min. Colour.
A coproduction between Acteon and Televisión Española and Disseny HUB Barcelona. With the colaboration of ICIC - Generalitat de Catalunya and Television of Catalunya.
Fortuny and the Magic Lantern is a documentary about the modern cultural contagion between East and West, which is told using the curious history of Mariano Fortuny y Madrazo’s creations as its framework.
Mariano Fortuny (1871-1947), artist, scenographer and designer, created his works –lamps, fabrics and dresses- during the first decade of the twentieth century, invoking and recreating in the process the rich “orientalist” tradition of the nineteenth century. The lamps and dresses evoke the fabulous and exotic world of bazaars, harems and caravans which form such an important part of the collective imagery of that time, a world which his father, the Spanish painter Mariano Fortuny y Marsal, had contributed to create.
- Best Documentary about Art, PriMed, France 2011
- FIFART Festival International Films Sur l’Art, Montreal 2012
- Design ONScreen Film Festival, New York, Denver, New Zealand 2013
- Milan Design Film Festival 2014
- Best documentary about art at the PriMed Festival, France 2011
- AlJazeera International Documentary Film Festival, 2011